Palazzo Falson Historic House Museum is a medieval palace in the centre of Mdina, a fortified city in Malta and the capital city until the Middle Ages. The palazzo was the former home of Capt. Olof Frederick Gollcher OBE (1889-1962), who was the heir of a prosperous shipping merchant of Swedish descent and who spent his life collecting historical crafted objects. He was also an artist, a keen researcher and a philanthropist, and together with his wife Nella, they spent many happy years in their Mdina home. After Gollchers’ death in 1962, the house and its contents passed into the hands of The Captain O. F. Gollcher OBE Art and Archaeological Foundation. In 2001, this Foundation affiliated with the Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti, the Maltese Heritage Foundation, which proceeded to restore the palazzo and all its contents to their former glory.
Olof’s extensive collection which grace this home include a variety of paintings, silverware, furniture, jewellery, oriental rugs and armour from across the world, as well as a remarkable library containing over 4,500 books and some highly valuable manuscripts – all are found within the walls of this 800-year-old palazzo. Here you will also find several historical items of note, such as a French Revolution fob watch that had been crafted by Robert Robin in 1791 reflecting the decimal time system.