The Leitão & Irmão jewellery workshops were opened by José Pinto Leitão in 1822 in Porto. The comany moved to Lisbon in 1875 where it set up a 'modern' goldsmithery, which remains the brand’s main workshop. During the 1870s the company was appointed Goldsmiths of the Brazilian Royal House and Jewellers of the Portuguese Crown. The current owner, Jorge van Zeller Leitão, upholds the company's original aim to create 'art of national nature', while also giving the brand an international flavour. The Largo do Chiado shop was remodelled in 2005 by artist Pedro Leitão.