The Leitão & Irmão jewellery workshops were opened by José Pinto Leitão in 1822 in Porto. The company moved to Lisbon in 1875 where it set up a 'modern' goldsmithery, which remains the brand’s main workshop. During the 1870s the company was appointed Goldsmiths of the Brazilian Royal House and Jewellers of the Portuguese Crown. The current owner, Jorge van Zeller Leitão, upholds the company's original aim to create 'art of national nature', while also giving the brand an international flavour. The Bairro Alto shop takes full advantage of its location next to the workshops. Offering clients a personalised service and drawing on the knowledge of designers and master artisans, it is dedicated to creating made-to-measure jewellery and goldware, as well as restoration and maintenance.