Lobmeyr places a strong emphasis on its history, using old pieces to inspire contemporary ones, and drawing on traditional expertise to create innovations. Josef Lobmeyr founded the company in Vienna in 1823 and it soon became a provider to the Imperial Court. The company has passed down the family to the present day and sales have expanded internationally but still, each piece of glassware passes through at least 24 hands before a final inspection by a member of the family in the workshop, where traditional techniques continue to flourish.
Throughout its past and recent history, Lobmeyr has created and installed or simply restored one-of-a-kind chandeliers in some of the most prestigious venues worldwide, such as the New York Metropolitan Opera, the hall of the Supreme Soviet at the Kremlin in Moscow and the Holy Mosque of Mecca. Furthermore, Lobmeyr has always had a rich tradition of working with renowned designers, painters and architects such as Josef Hoffmann or Adolf Loos, and this tradition lives on thanks to collaborations with contemporary designers such as Stefan Sagmeister and Helmut Lang.